This week’s breakfast is super versatile and satisfying, add your favourite fillings to create your perfect dish, there’s no rules here. Personally I like to keep it simple with soft scrambled Eggs, Crispy Bacon, Hot sauce and Gouda, this really hits the spot for me on a Saturday morning. You can easily create these to be Veggie or Vegan just by choosing suitable fillings, I’ve suggested some below, the only key is not to add too much moisture as this could turn the tortilla soggy and it will fall apart.
All you will need is a good heavy based frying pan or skillet and a weight of some kind to press down the Quesadilla. I recently purchased a cast iron burger weight and it works so well for this and so many other things, I love it!
Ingredients Serves 2
- 2 Corn Tortillas
- Your choice of the following fillings (can be made vegan or veggie)
- Soft Scrambled Eggs (or scrambled Tofu)
- Crispy Bacon
- A good melting cheese such as Gouda (or Vegan Cheese)
- Avocado Sliced
- Hot sauce, ketchup, HP
- Portobello Mushroom
- Begin by preparing your fillings. I will walk you through how I like mine, but feel free to do your own thing here.
- Place 4 slices of smoked streaky bacon in a cold skillet with a little bit of oil, turn on the heat to high and allow the bacon to sizzle, flipping over non and then until crispy and smelling fantastic. Remove from the heat and place the bacon on some kitchen paper to soak up excess oils.
- For the soft scrambled eggs; whisk 4 eggs with 2 Tbsp milk in a jug. Gently melt 1 Tbsp of Salted Butter in a frying pan on a medium-low heat, Add the Eggs and begin to stir continuously with a rubber spatula until the eggs start to thicken and for curds. Continue until the eggs have scrambled but a small amount still remains liquid, this should take around 3 minutes. Removed from the heat and set aside.
- To assemble the Quesadilla; Heat a skillet or frying pan on medium with 1 Tbsp of oil. Once the pan seems hot, add the corn tortilla.
- Quickly add your fillings to one half of the tortilla, trying to keep any moist ingredients away from the base (such as sauces, eggs and tomatoes)and ensure plenty of cheese to get that gooey cheese stretch.
- Using your hands or a spatula, carefully fold the empty side of the tortilla over the fillings and to the other side, forming a semi circle.
- Press down on the top of the halved Qesadilla using a weight (anything food grade will work, a mug or a jar). Fry on this side for 1-2 minutes, checking the underside by lifting a corner with a spatula, when it appears a medium brown it is time to flip.
- Carefully flip the tortilla onto the other side, try to be gentle to avoid the fillings falling out. Fry on the second side for a furthe 1-2 minutes until everything looks brown and crispy and the cheese inside has melted.
- Remove from the pan and repeat this process with the other Quesadillas.
- To serve, Slice the cooked Qesadillas in half or thirds using a sharp knife and arrange on a plate.